How to Create a Great Website for Your Small Business
1. Decide what you want your website to do for you.
Website building is an art, not just a list of checkboxes. Defining your goal definition; what do successful websites have in common can make all the difference when determining how visitors will experience your content on their own device or through social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
Make sure your website design pleases both customers AND search engines alike:
- Keep text clear with plenty of graphics – don’t use too many words where one fits perfectly enough
- Keep load times under 15 seconds – the longer it takes to download your site, the less likely they are to stay around and explore your offerings.
It is important to remember that the first few seconds of visitors’ experience on your website are critical. If it doesn’t load quickly (in 1-2 Seconds) or if they can not make heads or tails about what you — and your business– offer, then chances are good that they will leave without ever contacting you, or placing an order!
2. Choosing the right domain name for your business.
The domain name is the web address that people will use to find your website. Ideally, you want it to be short, catchy, and easy to remember. However, choosing the right domain name can make or break your business website and affect how well it ranks on search engines. I recommend using keywords in your domain name to increase search engine optimization (SEO):
Domain names with keywords in the address always rank higher than those without and help to improve traffic flow through organic search.
Tip: It’s a good idea to run several searches on popular search engine platforms using different words related to your business type or industry before settling on a domain name.
This way you can get an accurate snapshot of how likely the domain name is to receive high rankings on search engines.
3. Choose a hosting provider that meets your needs.
Hosting is when your website files are kept on a server so that they can be accessed by millions of people around the world. When choosing a hosting provider, it is very important to make sure that they offer the following features:
- SSL Certificate: Google has made it mandatory for all websites to use an SSL certificate, and this feature will help you be seen as a more trustworthy business. Without one your site may rank low on search engine results pages (SERPs) because Google looks at security when assessing the credibility of your website.
- Speed: Often slow websites are a result of poor hosting solutions. When it comes to hosting, the more money you invest in your solution, the faster and better performing your website will be.
- Server Location: Choosing a hosting service that is located in the same country as your target market helps to increase website speed, which will boost SEO rankings. Tip: Check with your hosting provider, where their servers are located.
- Backups & Security Features: If your site goes down due to malware or technical problems, having backups and security features enabled by your hosting service will allow you to quickly recover.
4. Select the best web design company for your project.
When selecting a web design company, ask them about their experience and the steps they take to build quality websites. Have clear goals set out from the start, a budget you can afford, and a timeline for when you want your website to be completed.
They should also provide examples of their previous projects in the past. These can help you see what they are capable of and whether or not they will meet your needs as well as expectations.
It’s important to understand the difference between a website design company and an SEO specialist. Some companies offer both services, but be aware of the difference between their roles. The SEO specialist will help you boost your website’s rankings on search engines and increase traffic to your site, while the web design company is responsible for creating an attractive website where visitors can find what they need quickly.
5. Creating an effective content strategy to get people interested in what you have to offer.
Content is key. It’s what people are looking for when they search on Google or other search engines, which means that it helps to improve SEO rankings too.
The best way to create content is by creating a blog on your website and updating it regularly with articles of interest about topics related to the industry you are in. This not only increases traffic to your website but also helps build trust with potential customers.